Thursday, April 16, 2009

Polish Pottery Shopping Trip

About 3 weekends ago, I went shopping for pottery in Poland with a friend and two of her friends that I had never met. Boleslawiec, Poland is about a 6 hour drive from here, so we left on a Friday afternoon and came home on Sunday night. We shopped until we dropped!!! Second to the pottery was the wonderful hotel that we stayed at, The Blue Beetroot. The hotel was fabulous and it would be a great place to go as a family and take in some actual sights and not just pottery.
The pottery is fun to look at, each piece is hand painted or stamped by a local artist. The pottery is dishwasher, oven, microwave, and freezer safe. But, more importantly... it is up to 8 times cheaper to buy in Poland (as compared to the U.S.). This was my second trip to Poland for the pottery, so I have aquired quite a bit of it. We have been eating off of the actual dinnerware for almost a year now and not one piece has chipped or cracked yet. It has withstood me dropping it in the sink and I recently dropped a small bowl on the floor (a NEW piece) and it did not break. I was very pleased!

There is an overwhelming number of pieces to choose from. This picture is only about 1/4 of this shop and we went to probably 15 shops like this. Each shop has different patterns and pieces to choose from.

A picture of my friend Kristina and Teresa shopping.

Being a little goofy outside one of the shops. They have these giant pieces of pottery everywhere in town.


Our hotel! The owners are English and they bought this barn 5 years ago and spent 2 years renovating it before they opened for business. They had before pictures posted on the walls and it was amazing to see what they did.




1 comment:

The Weyhrauch's said...

I have a picture of Bennett at the very spot where you are w/ your head in the handle of the coffee cup! I want to see what you bought!!!