Thursday, January 1, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!













It's officially 2009 all around the world!!! This year is the first year that we have never watched the ball drop (or at least have it on the TV in the background). In Alaska we used to watch it hours earlier than midnight in AK... but here we celebrated the New Year 6 hours before Eastern time. The kids enjoyed local ROBBY BUBBLY, a non-alcoholic kids beverage that they affectionally called Kids' wine. They thoroughly enjoyed drinking it out of their wine glasses and were bouncing around from the sugar later in the day!
To our surprise, the residents of our little village of Waldenbuch were really whooping it up for their New Year celebration. They go ALL OUT with tons of fireworks that started on the 30th of December and continued for 2 days. At midnight the church bells rang for about a half hour and we watched quite a show of fireworks. We live on a hill overlooking the village so we had a great view and I have to admit that it competed with some of the better fireworks that I have seen back home on the 4th of July.
I haven't posted much because my parents are here and we've been busy! On Christmas Day we never left the house so the kids stayed in their jammies all day long! It was fabulous. I had to share a picture of our 80 dollar Charlie Brown tree! Originally the tree cost $40, but due to the fact that it had an extremely small trunk we had to go out a buy a 25 euro tree stand that would hold the tree up! I will do some more posts later about our adventures while my parents have been visiting.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments: