I guess I just need to type this out and see if it makes sense to any of my readers. Please leave your opinions in my comment section or email me with them. Here is the background information to my dilemma:
When Beckett was tiny he had funny breathing patterns/noises. I didn't really think too much of it because every doctor assured me that he was fine. We tried albuterol and zyrtec (asthma and allergy meds) and it didn't improve his breathing, so I stopped giving it to him after a few weeks. Anyways, he snores quite a bit, too. Then as he aged and should have been moving onto table foods, he started gagging and vomitting up his food when we tried to give him anything with texture. Even one grain of rice will cause him to gag and everything in his belly comes back up. I am not talking about a little bit of food coming back up.... LOTS of it.
I was hoping that in February when he got tubes placed in his ears that he would start feeling better and then start eating better. It has been a good 6 weeks since his surgery and we have had no improvements. So, my 12 month old is still eating ultra pureed baby foods that are designed for 6-9 month old babies. I have zero experience with this, as our older 3 kids were eating steak and such at this point. Oh, Beckett will knaw on a vanilla wafer and a ritz cracker. But, NO CHEERIOS, BABY PUFFS, SOFT FRUITS, etc. And definitely no rice or mashed potatoes.
I took him to his 12 month check-up and the pediatrician doesn't seem concerned, but he also called him a healthy boy. Even when I said that I didn't consider 4 months of salmonella and major ear infections to equal a healthy boy. He said that if I quit giving him formula he would eat more. I have to play games to get him to finish a 4 oz jar of baby food. So, yes I am still giving him formula against the doctors advice because I don't think he would be getting enough nutrients otherwise. He usually drink about 24 oz of formula in a 24 hour period with water in between. Did I mention that I have to water down the thicker baby foods like the peas or he gags on those, too?
Then 2 weeks ago he had another set of ear infections even with the tubes. Originally, I was told that he is too young to take out the adenoids and that there was a good chance he would need to have them removed when he was a bit older. After doing some research on the internet (I don't know what my grandparents did when their kids were sick) I discovered that enlarged adenoids can cause a hypersensitive gag reflex in babies/toddler. Now, my regular pediatrician said he wanted to see him back in 4 weeks and he would refer him to a gastroenternologist to check my concerns. But, it is not acid reflux, or at least I don't suspect that is the problem. It's the ADENOIDS.... it has to be, right? I think I am going to beg for a referral to Landstuhl (Army hospital that is 2 hours away and they have an Ear/nose/throat specialist, too) because I feel like I am apprehensive to ask questions to my German ENT because there is definitely a noticeable language barrier. What I really want is a x-ray of his throat so that they can see if the adenoids are too big. Then, I want to know if it is really not possible to take them out until he is two?
What do you think????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Jen,
Sounds to me like his Adenoids need to go. I have seen this occasionally at work. Also, you may want to start Pediasure with/instead of the formula. I'm not sure, but it may have more calories than formula. It really doesn't sound like a gastro thing, because if it was he would reject all forms of nutrition, not just solids. Has anyone said he has enlarged tonsils also? Between large adenoids and large tonsils the gag reflex must me more affected with all that swelling in the mouth and throat. Poor guy. Just keep following your gut instinct. Mom's know their kids better than any doctor. Obviously you have been handling the problem correctly because he is thriving in all other aspects, and from the pictures it sure doesn't look like he has feeding issues. I hope you get some answers soon.
Heather
I think you have to go with your instinct. I would totally push for a referral to the other ENT. The most harm it will do is waste a few hours of driving, but I think it is totally worth it!
Post a Comment